Saturday, November 5, 2011

On being a cool biker chic

So today I decided to get my bike out and go for a ride. I have been really frustrated with it for a while- was having mechanical issues, got some rust on my new wheels,no one to ride with and a few other little incidental problems. I got so frustrated I wanted to sell the bike. I have always loved riding her- never a hiccup or a problem, and now it was like the sky was falling. I think one of the problem is she has a new BEAUTIFUL paint job. She used to be all black, and was my 'black beauty'. Now with her new look, she needs a new name- and I have no idea what to call her. (If you have suggestions, leave them on the comment link below)

So- I am riding to North Charleston- jamming to tunes from my iPod cruising up 526. I was listening to Machinehead by Bush, Singing along- Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out. breathe in breathe in breathe in-.... enjoying the music. The song ended and I was ready for another kick ass jamming tune. I could hear some music- not as loud as the last tune, and then all of a sudden I realized what I was listening to- the damn Alphabet song- you know- A-B-C-D-E-F-G.....I had downloaded some kiddie songs to my iPod for those times I have Zoey. A truck was in the lane to my right, and I could see him laughing as 'L M N O P' blared from my speakers- as if that wasn't enough, the next tune up on shuffle was 'The Itsy Bitsy Spider'. Thank goodness I hit the exit, and was able to change playlists!

So, back to my ride- it was a ride with a purpose- I was going to stand with the Patriot Guard Riders as we stood for RM1 Thomas Wiand,a vet who served in Korea and Vietnam. I was involved with the PGR back in North Carolina, but had not really been able to join up with the South Carolina group since I had moved. There was a good sized group assembled- I parked and joined them as they went over the plan for the service. I met a lot of really cool people and even got my 'Mission Accomplished' pin, which is now proudly attached to my leather jacket.

After the service I hit the local Hooters. Now I have been in a lot of Hooters restaurants in my life- but this one ranks as one of the worst. I know I am female, and I know I went in by myself, but I am still entitled to decent service. My feeling today was if you didn't have a penis, you didn't deserve service. Well- after I had something to eat- and I paid the check- the waitress shorted me on my change- so I let her keep that as her tip-

I jumped on my bike and heading out saw the local ice rink- the Carolina Ice Palace. I had to stop- I checked out the pro shop and then wandered on into the heart of the rink. I saw youth hockey teams coming in to play. Thats when I smelled it- the odor of a hockey locker room combined with sweaty hockey gear. It has to be one of the WORST smells in the world- but it brought back 14 ears of memories, schlepping my son from rink to rink, hearing 'Mom, can I have a new stick?', and freezing in the rink to watch the game. I thought about all the wonderful relationships that travel hockey brought to both me and Matt...... I really miss hockey weekends.

Finally I tore myself away and started the ride home. Since I was going to Logan and Faye's, I took 26 to 17 and headed across the Ravenel Bridge-

it was getting chilly, and the wind had picked up-It was time to roll on the throttle and get off the bridge. I delivered my bike safe and sound to Logan's house, putting her in the garage til the next time.........


The Bipolar Diva said...


The Bipolar Diva said...

gosh K, you've had quite the day. I should have been with you!

Karyn said... liking the cougar